recent paintings and news

recent paintings and news

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

spark



No creature is fully itself till it is, like the dandelion, opened in the bloom of pure relationship to the sun, the entire living cosmos.
- D.H. Lawrence

If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn.
-Andrew V Mason

It gives one a sudden start in going down a barren, stoney street, to see upon a narrow strip of grass, just within the iron fence, a radiant dandelion, shining in the grass, like a spark dropped from the sun.
-Henry Ward Beecher



May, oil on canvas, 8x18in, 2011, available

I knew my neighbours would be mowing through the vineyard rows as soon as the rain ceased, taking the dappled yellow with them. I sat outside my kitchen door and caught these doomed (deemed) weeds as quick as I could—was lots of fun. Their plight was sealed just as I put down my last stroke-

*

3 comments:

  1. Those lovely dots of yellow just sparkle against the backdrop of blues greens and mauves. I am glad you caught them in time! The swirly paint strokes makes everything look like they are having fun...perhaps dancing and swaying to the breeze on a warm spring day. Not only are they beautiful, but they are edible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise the woman who saw the dandelions and knew at once they were not permanent and dashed out to paint them. You, Jan, are a wise woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha Katherine--have been called many things but NEver wise!! I'll take it!! (re Catalina-used to go a lot when i lived in LA)

    Catherine good to have you back in blogland!! Thanks yes it was a windy and changeable (one of many as you know) day

    ReplyDelete