recent paintings and news

recent paintings and news

Thursday, September 20, 2012

spark





 It’s interesting what ‘sparks’ inspiration. Last summer I worked on a series of small nocturnes(firefly moondance), incorporating them with my encaustic work. 

This week someone posted a simple poem on facebook. It beckoned me to re-visit the theme-on a larger scale.

 I also think it resonated because of the project that I will be presenting on Saturday. I grieve for my Mother-I crave her physical presence. At present, the physicality of making art settles this longing, allowing-for a time- peace and acceptance.



Firefly Moondance, oil/cold wax on canvas, 24x36in, 2012


Firefly...

As subtle as a fairy's sigh,
aloft on summer's velvet night,
the blinking of a firefly
anoints the dark with specks of light.
It's said that they illuminate
the spirits of our loved ones gone,
who wink at us from heaven's gate
and flash their love, like sparks of dawn.
These creatures, magical and small,
are bearers of immortal souls
who come to comfort one and all
by glowing soft like warming coals.
So in that moment, brief and bright,
we lay our grief and sorrow by,
and smile each time we catch the sight
of the elusive firefly.

Katharine L. Sparrow



No comments:

Post a Comment