recent paintings and news

recent paintings and news

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

save



sal·vage 
n.
a. The act of saving imperiled property from loss.
b. The property so saved.


















3. Something saved from destruction or waste and put to further use.
tr.v. sal·vaged, sal·vag·ing, sal·vag·es
1. To save from loss or destruction.
2. To save (discarded or damaged material) for further use


Winter 3, encaustic etc on panels, 10x109n, 2013, available


As mentioned in a previous post, I am deconstructing in order to reconstruct and have made a conscious effort in my art-making to incorporate only what I HAVE and only what is around me . I will not purchase new canvas, tools or panels -the latter of which I will paint over and use in new ways. And although I require paint and wax, the challenge is to stretch their use as  far as possible.

 In the above image, the top portion was made in 2008. 

The lower panel consists of another early painting, but I have layered it with a beautifully aged oxide roof shingle from a dilapidated shed that I see, walk by and take refuge in when painting in rain and snow. 



The wee building has been vacant and weather worn for 30 odd years but was originally built for the farm workers to store fruit picked from the orchards. 

 The wire used to embellish the image is aged as well. At one time it was used to anchor the vineyard posts and organize the vines.



The vineyards have long since been torn out and the velvety looking wire now sits piled  in the back field, overgrown with vine.














I find the linear quality of vine and wire to be irresistible and it is relatively easy to manipulate. Portals are appearing in the field.


2 comments:

  1. As someone who likes texture and drizzles, I find this very interesting. Pretty cool way to repurpose these things :)

    ReplyDelete