recent paintings and news

recent paintings and news

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

edges, convergence and photographing work





 detail (July, Rendezvous with Queen Anne)


 I am having such a hard time photographing/documenting the large painting below. I usually take work outside and hang it on the side of my studio in grey even light, but the weather here is so humid that it cast a grey over the whole image. So I then had to do a lot of digital editing and it still doesn't read true. In fact I think the more editing done on the computer, the worse the image looks.

 I think I will photograph it indoors under controlled light when it is completely dry-or maybe out in full sun. Or if all else fails I will lay it down outside and climb on a ladder and photograph it. Can you tell that this is part of being an artist that I really HATE? And I think it must only be me that has a hard time with this as I see everyones' work online and it looks fabulous! Do you all hire professional photographers? 




detail (July, Rendezvous with Queen Anne)

I was interested in edges and convergence in the below painting. It is a re-work of the same image done last August. I was looking for a photo of it to post re showing the difference, but I hated it so much that I deleted it! 



 July (Rendezvous with Queen Anne), oil/wax on canvas, 36x48in, 2012, available


Anyway, I am happy with this painting -and if you were to experience it 'live' you could see all the subtle value shifts and tones and the colours are more unified than in this digital image. Oh dear, I am being very negative! I will blame it on this humid hot weather!





No comments:

Post a Comment