recent paintings and news

recent paintings and news

Friday, August 19, 2011

a time for every purpose (under the sun)


This is another painting that I began last August and it is another that I purposely waited to resume until this August.


It is under-painted with oil and cold wax because in subsequent applications I wanted to manipulate and draw into it. In order to build  dimension with impasto I also enjoyed working into the waxed surface with a large painting knife.






August, Remains of the Day
oil/cold wax on canvas
30x30in, 2011
available


 I’ve made a conscious effort to assess and resume work that I’ve put away for long periods, sometimes because at the time I was ‘hitting a wall’ and feeling lost, or others, like the one above, simply because now the time is right.



6 comments:

  1. This is really really gorgeous.. I especially like the setting sun through the grasses....

    Bravo!!

    LUMUB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm thinking I am happy with it.....LUMUB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done! It's almost like the last hurrah of the sun in autumn and the plants have bloomed out and are going to seed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Rhonda-and yes, sad to say it kind of feels like autumn is on it's way in--not that i don't like autumn, but....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the show next weekend Jan I hope you get all your work finished in time. This is such a beautiful painting, full of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you paint....with abandon

    ReplyDelete