recent paintings and news

recent paintings and news

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

a landscape as it was before

There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.
Robert Lynd (1879 - 1949), The Blue Lion and Other Essays


For those who follow my posts, you have probably noticed the recent succession of encaustic works. 

 That is partly because I have been conducting  encaustic workshops here at the studio, and the class participants always inspire me. Most of the works shown in the past few months, started as demos


 However I think it will be the last you will be seeing of my starling friend for awhile. 





The image featured was created on another piece of wood weathered from the seasons here on the Niagara escarpment.
 
 I enjoy sealing the worn wood with beeswax, letting the molten liquid pool into the porous crevices to protect it forever. 



 And I just couldn't resist the uneven asymmetrical quirkiness of this panel































beautiful vagabond, encaustic etc on found panel, 7x50in, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment