recent paintings and news

recent paintings and news

Sunday, December 8, 2013

The summer birds have flown away. The winter birds are here to stay.

 



The west was getting out of gold,
The breath of air had died of cold,
When shoeing home across the white,
I thought I saw a bird alight.

In summer when I passed the place
I had to stop and lift my face;
A bird with an angelic gift
Was singing in it sweet and swift.

No bird was singing in it now.
A single leaf was on a bough,
And that was all there was to see
In going twice around the tree.

From my advantage on a hill
I judged that such a crystal chill
Was only adding frost to snow
As gilt to gold that wouldn't show.

A brush had left a crooked stroke
Of what was either cloud or smoke
From north to south across the blue;
A piercing little star was through. 

Looking For a Sunset Bird in Winter by Robert Frost



 Murmur, oil/aluminum/cold wax on canvas, 12x40in, copyright Jan Yates, 2013
available

1 comment:

  1. Lovely paintings and words shared - it is definitely the time of year to see birds now that disappear in the warmer months. One of our first harbingers of winter is the junco, and it usually shows up with the first dusting of snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete