recent paintings and news

recent paintings and news

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Art Theft Update



‘I arrived at the gallery this morning to find a  shopping bag hanging on our
black hook outside with 5 of your little paintings in it wrapped in
plastic. An unsigned note attached…’

The above email  greeted me this morning from a gallery colleague.

For those of you that read my post about the stolen paintings—they have all been returned.

Thus is the power of social media

To my perpetrator:

I am very grateful and relieved that my blog post compelled you to follow your conscience and return these paintings. I appreciate your note of apology and am sincerely sorry for your illness. I strongly urge you to find help. Please do this not only for your sake but for the sake of others who you might be tempted to take advantage of. 


February, Remains of the Day
oil on canvas
6x6in, 2010

*

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Jan, I have been remiss in checking blogs lately and missed this theft. I am so glad the thief had a change of heart (or thought he was going to jail since you had surveillance tape) and returned every one! My hope that this never happens to you again and that this person never does this to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that everything was returned. I'm glad whoever it was listened to his conscience.

    LUMUB

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful painting Jan, I love the splash of orange below the trees on the horizon line. Good to hear the paintings have been returned to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent news! I'd call this your Easter miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, me too, I didn't realise you had had some paintings stolen. Glad they have been returned. Maybe someone wanted to scrutinise them at close quarters. Sounds like they didn't want to sell them. Anyway, you got them back and the person can re-assess. So that's all good. This painting is dynamic - it has so much energy and you handle the blues and orange with style!

    ReplyDelete